Sunday, August 2, 2009

Grand Beauty


Not too long ago I visited a family member in Arizona. An aunt of mine had just given birth to a small boy. The miracle of birth is beautiful and it can really make you see how important life is. But that wasn't the reason for my excitement. Don't get me wrong, i love newborns and all the mess they bring along; however being in Arizona to me only meant one thing. I have the chance to see the Grand Canyon. The biggest canyon known to man and I wasn't about to pass on the opportunity to see it.
So we packed and hit the road, a very long road indeed. The drive took almost eight hours. Most of which was spent looking out the window and dripping music into my ears through the ingenious creation of an mp3 player. The only problem was there was nothing to look at. Everything was just bare land. Not even mountains or anything that could remotely be interesting. It was just nothing. So i decided that the only way to ride was to sleep. 8 hours later we were in Arizona.
My aunts house was not very far, the first thing i looked for was the bathroom. Then i saw my cousin sitting on the front porch. We started talking and soon enough I forgot about the whole bathroom thing, until he reminded me.
After lunch, we headed out to see the beast. When we arrived, i noticed that almost all the cars there had licence plates from states other than Arizona. I guess they get bored after a while.
Once we got out of the car, I was amazed. I didn't realize how deep and long this thing really was. You get dizzy if you stare down long enough. It was really a natural wonder. Everything about it screamed Creation. It was almost like looking at a time line, since the layers of rock were each separately dated. You could see the bands of different types of stone that had been eroded by the elements into this beauty. Its something that you carry with you for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment